Monday, April 13, 2009

Week 13



Assignment:
-The assignment for this week was to use the information received during the critique and apply it to the project.

Craft: (How did you do it?)
-During the critique my classmates pointed out some room for improvement. To fix the problem that was present in the comic I needed a new tactic; this new tactic will consist of changing the whole selection of colors. The new colors that will be used for the comic are yellow, red, and blue. For this part of the project we are no longer limited to just two colors so having three colors is still within the limit of the assignment; however, to remain as true to the two color theme that was set before I will use two color primarily. Having a saved copy of all of the photoshop slides removing the digital color was easy. After removing all the color, I had a black and white picture. To me this was like a new canvas on which I can start a new piece of art. The same procedure was followed for the rest of the slides. Having all the slides desaturated I began planning what will be was color. I decided to stay consistent throughout all the slides so I am going to use the yellow color for the people and anything that I feel is really important. The reason for choosing yellow is because it is very bright and stands out. For the background I will use a baby blue color. For some areas I will use the red color. At this point I had a rough idea of the layout of the colors so I began adding the color to the previously flattened image. To flatten the image all you have to do is go under the layer option and select flatten image. I created a new layer, selected the color I wanted for the background, and added the color using the pain bucket tool. I made sure that the photo layer was set to multiply and that the original photo was on top of the color layer. Then I added a new layer and chose the yellow color. Using the new layer and the yellow color I added it to the people’s skin. I added the red color where I needed another color to make something stand out or make something around it more visible. The new colors were added to all slides with as much consistency as possible. Another thing that was pointed out to me was that the slides did not have the same style. To take of this problem I picked one filter and applied it to all the slides. The filter that I picked was the stamp. Some photos at first did not look good so played around with the adjustments and settled on what I thought provided the best picture. Some worked out better than other so a compromise had to be made in some photos. After completing this task I saved the photoshop document. Next I had to transfer the new photos to the comic life. I just clicked and dragged the photos and dropped them where they belong in the comic. The same layout and frames will be reused and the same goes for the speech bubbles, but some bubbles will be removed and some will be reduced. After dropping the photo into its proper place, I made some adjustment by either making it larger or smaller. After having placed all the slides into their right places and making the necessary adjustments I saved the comic life file. This was the final draft, and now we must move on to a new project. The new project will involve creating an online portfolio. This task will be done using the iweb software.

Composition: (Arrangement and order of elements)
-For comparisons reasons, the same slides will be analyzed as in the previous blog. The first slide with the new colors looks better for several reasons. The people pop-out from the background making them easily visible; even pass the squint test. Whereas the previous version failed this test because the background color and the people were colored in similar value even though the hue was different.
-The second frame in the previous version was hard to see because of all the speech bubbles and the colors were not working too for the same reason as the first slide. Both of these issues were addressed in the new version. The people in the new version pop-out and the reduction in text makes it easier for the audience to see what is going o in the frame and in this particular point of the story.

Concept: (What are you trying to say?)
-Using the comic life program and the story slides I am trying to say that if you can imagine it can be done. There are no limits as to what can be done with the technology that we have today. We can take any photo and modify it to unrecognizable state, thus creating a new piece of art work. We can also take ordinary family photos and make them extraordinary by putting them into programs like the comic life, thus enhancing the memories that the family wants to save.

No comments:

Post a Comment