Monday, March 30, 2009

Week 11





Assignment:
-The assignment for this week was to use only two digital colors to enhance the story slides.

Craft: (How did you do it?)
-The first major hurdle that needed to be passed was to make a decision about which colors should be used. Jessica and I settled on using red and purple; however, we are not limited to just these to hues we have the different saturation levels of colors that can be used; also different values can be used of the two colors. The color choice may be limited, but the combination of these two colors is endless. Since our story has twelve slides, we once again decided to work on six slides each. Now it was time to get down to doing some work. After opening the slide of the story that I will be working on, I desaturated the slide of any and every hue; this gives me a clean plate where I can let my imagination and color combination run wild. Knowing my limits in terms of color I began by choosing a dark and saturated color to use for the background. Before I could proceed any further, I flattened the image. Now I was ready to start adding some digital color. Having my background color picked out, I created a new layer so I can add this color. For every new color that I decided to add I created a new layer because this allowed me total control in the sense that if after completing the task and I do not like the way the image looks I can delete the layer without affecting the rest of the image. After playing around with different saturation level and different values of both red and purple I had the slides done. To accomplish the assignment I used a couple of tool to help me accomplish my job; in this process I used the polygon lasso, eraser, and a brush. These tools were the best tool for the job at hand because they made the job easier and more efficient.

Composition: (Arrangement and order of elements)
-In the slide where the two people are talking the first thing that the eye catches are the people or at least this was the plan. During the critique today, an issue came up, and the issue was that the image blended together. What this means is that the people disappeared into the background. The reason why the people dissolved into the background is because the colors that were used for the background and the people are very similar in value and saturation. To solve this problem, I have to make the background color darker and make the people lighter; this will allow for the people to pop-out from the background and will defiantly be the first thing that the eye notices.
-The slide where the girl is dreaming had the same problem. The viewer needs to be focused on the girl and the bubble which represents the dream, but the eye is not drawn there. To make the correction, the background will be made darker and the girl and the bubble will be made brighter. By addressing these things the audience should be drawn to the girl and the bubble which is where the action is happening in this slide.

Concept: (What are you trying to say?)
-Using only two colors was a challenge, but well forth the extra time that went into planning. Using just two colors allowed for an opportunity to work with different values and saturation levels of the same color; this makes the art work more unique. By using different values and saturation levels of either color allowed for development of a specific mood in that particular moment of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment